BCHS Girls Golf Team Raised the Bar This Season

Amelia Sorci, Yearbook Staff

Bakersfield Christian High School Girls Golf team battled throughout the season with other Kern County teams in the Southern Valley Yosemite League. At the beginning of the season, the players focused on the Milk Bowl and other historic matchups. The team was made up of mainly returning players with dominating varsity players Lauren Daniel, Ava Versteeg, and Maddy DeBoer. The varsity players had some good rounds throughout the season. Although it was a smaller team with eight members, much was gained through their extra practice times and tournaments. The team also had a couple of freshman newcomers, Kendall Chao and Jessica Hinajosa, who worked diligently to improve their game.

At the beginning of the season, the players learned more about the techniques about the game from Coach Danny Hoff. “We had three girls get first-team all-league and one girl get second-team all-league. Our team consistently took second place and we won one tournament this season,” said Coach Hoff.

The kick-off to the season was the Milk Bowl tournament against Central Valley Christian (CVC) where team members battled their long-standing rivals. Although CVC won, the players had the opportunity to bring their best efforts to the rounds. Next, the Kern River Golf Course tournament brought new challenges with a broader spectrum of players from throughout the valley. As the season progressed the competitions and courses started to become more difficult. Player Kendall Chao stated, “I thought the Oak Tree Country Club course was the hardest because it had many slopes and obstacles. There were even huge boulders throughout the course that created additional challenges for us. I definitely learned a great deal from that course, but I wouldn’t want to play it again.”

Also, in the qualifying tournament, many of the players showcased their strongest work and Chao qualified for the next level with schools from Kern County. The next competition that included teams from throughout Kern County was the Area Tournament was at the Buena Vista Golf Course in Taft. Chao recalled, “It was one of the most intimidating moments for me because I was competing all alone within a sea of teams.” Out of all the top players from the Central Valley Division I teams Chao was the only Division II and freshman player who qualified for Valley.

Hoff is very proud of all his golfers and it shows. These girls had so much fun golfing together and are very sweet to one another. When asked how her season overall was, Jessica Henjosa, a freshman golfer, answered: “I was scared at first because I knew no one, but everyone was so kind and friendly towards me. I quickly made friends and had a great time.” All the girls on the golf team had a wonderful season. In addition to golf, they bonded over golf and their studies. Kendall Chao, another freshman golfer, said, “We definitely didn’t always get the scores that we wanted, but it was still a really good season. Even though we will be losing some seniors, I hope next season will be as fun as this year.”