Faith Works Chapel Theme Put Into Action with Student Service Projects at BCHS

Zach Backer, Eagle Post Staff Writer

During the fall quarter, a number of BCHS students volunteered throughout different areas of the Bakersfield community. The freshmen Bible classes helped to improve the garden area surrounding the cross in the center of the BCHS campus. Students and teachers were scheduled an opportunity to do hands-on improvement projects which provided a time of fellowship and new friendships.  Bible teachers and Spiritual Development Leader Joe Cabalka guided the freshmen as they planted flowers, shrubs, and other plants.

In addition to this service project, other teachers took their classes during the school day to other locations to donate their time and support. The projects were scheduled during block periods that provide more time to transport students to and from the BCHS campus to other locations in the area. Volunteer sites include Rosewood, Munsey Elementary, Mare Therapeutic Riding Center, and other places. At M.A.R.E., the students helped do prep work with the non-profit staff that provides equine-assisted therapies and activities for the people with special needs and disabilities. Their clients include people all ages from children to veterans who receive therapy to assist with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), depression, anxiety, attention-deficit disorders, and other chronic mental illness.

Students who are interested in other opportunities to participate in service projects for community hours may contact Joe Cabalka at 410-7000 or email him at [email protected] for more details on upcoming projects.