Senior Send Off

Amelia Sorci, Eagle Staff Writer

The class of 2020 definitely had a unique senior year. Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, seniors did not get to experience traditional senior events as usual. The staff at BCHS knew that, even in these challenging times, their graduating seniors deserved the best celebration, one that they have worked so long and hard for. On May 23, 2020, students and staff safely gathered to give our seniors a unique graduation ceremony, Senior Send-Off. The seniors and their families drove their cars on the BCHS track in a parade-like style. For an extra bit of fun, the students were encouraged to decorate their cars to compete for a grand prize. All the wonderfully decorated cars were a sight to be held. This parade was the best way the school could highlight this amazing accomplishment their seniors have achieved, while still adhering to social distancing guidelines. When Julius Salinas, the 2019-2020 senior class president, was asked how his experience at the celebration was he answered, “The Senior Send-Off was fantastic! My favorite part was when they called my name because that was special to me.” Nathan Smidt’s, the 2019-2020 ASB president, favorite part was, “getting to go through all the families, teachers, and staff. At BCHS I have gotten really close to numerous families so it was like I had had my own big family around me. The teachers and staff were all yelling and screaming, which made me feel really good.” Mrs. Chandler thought the event went great and was a very memorable experience for everyone involved. While she still hopes to have a traditional graduation for the class of 2020, she believes that this event was a special way to recognize the graduates on the day the traditional ceremony was to take place. “The class of 2020 is an amazing group of young people. I am so proud of the way they have demonstrated their resiliency. I know they are going to accomplish great things as they have shown that when they encounter an obstacle, they will overcome!” said Mrs. Chandler, the counselor for the class of 2020. The resilient spirit of the 2020 graduating class shined throughout the whole school year. Though they were faced with many unprecedented challenges, they held fast to their faith in God and dealt with them with positive attitudes. These wonderful graduates are going to high places. Everyone at Bakersfield Christian High School is looking forward to seeing the plans God has for them.