BCHS FFA Chapter at the Kern County Fair

Olivia Penner and Holly Rudnick

The BCHS FFA program had an outstanding year at the Kern County Fair. The group continued to dominate in the South Valley Section continuing their record setting success earned last year at local, state and national levels. Mrs. Love, BCHS’s new FFA teacher, helped her students show at the Kern County Fair for two weeks in a broad spectrum of events. The students showcased their hard work by showing animals, plants, insects, and art to be judged. Students such as Emily Wise and Mia Torgiani received Grand Champion in their projects. In addition to the Fair, many other competitions are approaching. Some of these competitions include Opening and Closing, Farm Records, Best Informed Greenhand (BIG), and Creed speaking, both competitions for freshmen.

In addition to success with these various competitions, BCHS Savanah Downs is the 2019 California National Delegate with a background in National Diversified Horticulture Proficiency and Impromptu Speaking awards. Falon Butcher is also the Sectional Secretary with state awards with first place in the Individual Greenhand Vice President (opening and closing) and first place in the High Individual Sectional, Best Informed Greenhand event.

Many BCHS students also earned high rankings at the California State Competition Field Day hosted at University of California, Davis. The BCHS Livestock Judging Team earned first place with their Novice Team, Mason Brown earned first in his individual event, alum Holly Parks earned second place in the Job Interview Competition and Emily Wise earned second in her individual event.  With a legacy of high marks the current FFA team is led by Coach Love at the national level with high hopes for success again this year.