Eagles Win Shootout Against St. Joseph’s

Senior+Center%2C+Dylan+Parcher+

David Meshreky

Senior Center, Dylan Parcher

Knight Jarecki, Contributor

The game started out in favor of St. Joseph’s after they took the opening kick off 95 yards for a touchdown. This put St. Joseph’s up 7-0. The next drive senior quarterback, Dominic Gamboni, threw a touchdown to Stanford commit Ben Yurosek to tie things up at 7 apiece. The Eagles would then score a field goal to go up by 3, but St. Joseph’s would not be kept quiet. The Knights would then score 14 unanswered points to go up 21-10 late in the 2nd quarter. Right before halftime, Gamboni was able to find Yurosek once again for another touchdown to cut the Knights lead to 4 points before the break. 

After the half, the Eagles received the ball and did not waste time. Quarterback Dominic Gamboni ran the ball in himself on a read-option play to put the Eagles up 23-21 after a missed extra point by Julius Salinas. The 3rd quarter was filled with empty possessions for both teams keeping the score 23-21 after 3. 

In the 4th quarter, senior running back David Stevenson rushed for an 81-yard touchdown run juking a defender at midfield putting the Eagles up 30-21 with 11:31 to go in the game. The Knights, in their ensuing possession, would then score a quarterback run by Sophomore Mark Crisp cutting the lead to 30-28 with 8:30 to go. Two minutes and nine seconds later, Gamboni would find senior wideout Chris Gutierrez in the end zone for his 4th total touchdown of the night, putting the Eagles up 37-28. This would be the final score as the Eagles would hang on for their 3rd straight victory. 

Quarterback Dominic Gamboni finished 17/27 for 226 yards and 3 touchdowns through the air while adding 22 yards rushing and a touchdown on the ground. Senior David Stevenson finished with 207 yards on the ground and had a touchdown for himself. Ben Yurosek had a monstrous day on all sides of the ball. He finished with 9 catches for 154 yards and 2 touchdowns while also having 4 sacks on the defensive side of the ball. He also was named the team’s special teams player of the week for his punting duties including a punt in which he pinned St. Joseph’s inside their 5-yard line. St. Joseph moves to (2-1) on the year. They look to play Centennial in Bakersfield next Friday. BCHS improves to (3-0) in the year and hopes to stay undefeated against Faith Lutheran at home in Las Vegas. You can watch the game live on the BCHS YouTube channel bchseagles.