BCHS Freshman Takes Down Two School Swimming Records

On February 27, the BCHS JV and Varsity Swim team competed at Garces Memorial High School in a quad meet against Garces, Wasco, and San Joaquin Memorial. Freshman Brianna Bowyer was seeded first in the 50 yard freestyle and kept that standing during her swim and proceeded to swim the fastest time in school history with a 24.98. Bowyer said, “This sport takes a lot out of you mentally and physically so it’s really important that when you’re not successful you need to use those moments as learning curves.” With that swim Bowyer also automatically books her ticket to the Division One Valley Championship. Not more than a week later at the Wildcat Invite in Taft Bowyer takes a second record in the 100-yard Backstroke, a record set less than a year ago by 2019 graduate Kelly Washburn. Bowyer swims a 1:02.67 making her second Valley Championship qualifying time.

Bowyer plans to continue swimming through the rest of her years at Bakersfield Christian as well as volleyball. Coach Montecino said, “Bri has brought a great impact on the team and has a great future ahead. She is already hitting such high marks. I can’t wait to see where she’ll be by senior year!” Bowyer stated, “I’m really excited to compete with this team and to see where this sport will take me, my coaches have prepared me so well for taking the high school swimming world by storm and I can’t wait to see how I compete at Valley and hopefully State.”