Three BCHS Students Sign with their Dream Colleges

On February 27th the Bakersfield Christian High School gym was the gathering place for students, faculty and families filled with excitement and anticipation for a triple signing event that involved swimming, football and soccer players. Senior Elizabeth Rehkopf signed with Fresno Pacific University after hard work and true grit. She has been determined since her freshman year to receive a scholarship for swimming. Elizabeth has been competing her entire life and on the BCHS Varsity team all four years of high school. “She has come such a long way over these four years. She has truly grown into a model as a mentor for the younger swimmers on our team,” said Coach Jacob Montecino. The events that she competes in are 500 free and 200 free. She said Montecino motivates and pushes her past the limits that she thought could be possible and that he is very supportive of her decisions. She said, “I decided to go to Fresno Pacific University because it is a Christian university and it has an outstanding swim team and strong academic program. I also hope to pursue my love of the sport, but also learn more aspects of myself outside of swim.”

Carter Lynch also signed with UC Berkeley. While his family and friends surrounded him to witness his historic sign with UC Berkeley for football. Coach Carr stated, “Carter is the kind of player that bets on himself and he proved himself with this amazing accomplishment of signing with UC Berkeley.” Carter was instrumental in the BCHS Eagles victories this year with their state victory. It was a moving moment for his family and friends as they watched him officially enter into this next phase of his young life. “This is a dream come true for me in my life and I am thankful for this amazing opportunity,” said Lynch.

Cristina Evans, signed with Masters University in Santa Clarita. She has been playing soccer since she was six years old and started playing for club in junior high. Her coach, Derek Watson, has helped her grow spiritually and athletically through out the years and always knew that it was her dream to play soccer. Tina stated, “He’s been the school campus father that I can rely on.” She said he has helped her with getting her name out, making films, meeting coaches, and researching different scholarships. Her family has also been very supportive with her mom who has driven her throughout California to get to games and helps with all of her decisions. “My parents told me to follow my heart, and to reach for my dream. They told me they knew that I will always take this dream seriously.” Now this dream has become a reality because of all of her perseverance and endurance both on and off the field.