Colors of Christmas Shined Brightly

Photographers: Holly Rudnick and Gabrielle Atencio

Amelia Sorci and Gabrielle Atencio

On the night of December 13th, Bakersfield Christian High School staff and students hosted their annual Colors of Christmas celebration. The campus was decorated like Dr. Seuss’ Whoville with an interactive tour led by students and performers. Guests also observed a student made live Nativity scene with Tonya Love’s Future Farmers of America (FFA) animals including llamas, sheep, steer, and rabbits. It was a strategic collaboration of teachers and students that filled the campus with music, art, singing, performances and laughter.

Sheri Wallace’s Spanish classes and Teresa Cintron’s America Sign Language classes sang and used sign language to share everyone’s favorite Christmas songs. All the students showcased their gifts and talents given to them by God.  Hailey Amos said before her performance, “I am excited about performing for my community and advancing in my sign language skills.” Other students enjoyed the live art sessions, Santa’s workshop with the craft projects, and even camel and pony rides.

According to event coordinator Tarilyn Crabtree, “It is a collaborative effort with the entire school coming together to treat the family to a fun and free Christmas event. Theater Director Mindy Leyendecker agreed, “Putting on a moving Christmas scene that was an outdoor drama was stressful and laborious to get the time right, but the outcome was wonderful.”

The musicians from Zack Clark’s classes also showcased Christmas songs with a full symphony. The Worship Team, Gospel choirs, and the BCHS Show Choir also joined the line up of offerings this year with new arrangements and approaches to the traditional Christmas songs.

Overall, Colors of Christmas was a memorable and free event with more than 1,500 attendees from throughout the community.  Everyone had a wonderful time as revelers enjoyed the festivities and found themselves filled with the Christmas spirit. “We trust that the true meaning of Christmas shined through and that those who came were blessed,” said Crabtree. The final act of the evening was a local favorite as everyone gathered around the cross in the middle of the BCHS campus to sing “Silent Night” with candles in hand for a glimpse of Christmas Eve services to come. This final chapter of the evening was filled with peace and comfort for all who raised their voices to sing these well known stanzas in the moonlit night.