Four BCHS Seniors Received Optimist Club Awards

Isabel Cordova, Eagle Staff Writer

The Optimist Club awards young students who excel in the arts, athletics, academics and community service work. Alexia Reynish, Alison Reeves, Alexander Child, and Nathan Smidt all recently received awards. Alison Reeves earned the Scholarship awarded for her outstanding academic achievements. Alison said, “I felt honored to receive this award after working hard these past couple of years. To me, it showed me that my hard work paid off.” Alexia Reynish was awarded the Leadership Award for her excellent leadership skills spiritually, academically and athletically. Alexia said, “I am very honored to have received the Leadership Award from the Optimist Club. To have been recognized alongside so many outstanding students from around Bakersfield was a cool experience. The award I was given recognized my student leadership and involvement at BCHS.”

Alexander Child received the School and Community Service Award for his outstanding contributions to his school and community. Alexander said, “It was an amazing experience to be able to be recognized amongst my peers and participate in the numerous events accompanying the award, such as Teen City Government. The award allowed me to look back on how I contributed to my community with countless hours I dedicated to others. I help organize basketball camps for underprivileged kids and I volunteered for numerous non-profit organizations.” Finally, Nathan Smidt was awarded the Glendon Rogers Award given to those who exemplify excellence in each of the other three award categories.