BCHS Girl’s Varsity Volleyball Claims Division II Valley Championship

Brianna Bowyer, Associate Editor

October 30, 2019, marked the first Valley playoff game for the Girl’s Varsity Volleyball team. A team made up of three seniors, seven juniors, five sophomores, and one freshman took on the challenge to get a Valley title and championship ring. Eagles swept their first opponent 13 seed Bullard High School. Next, they took 5 seed Frontier High School, who they previously took at a home pre-season game and beat  3 to 0. Frontier was out for blood and had hoped for a Valley Championship themselves after they moved down to Division Two this year. Eagles prevailed and were one step closer to their Valley title when they took the Titans 3 to 2. Next BCHS took the 1 seed, Redwood High School, from Visalia, with a win in that game of 3 to 1.

November 9 was the day most anticipated by the Lady Eagles. It was the historic day they played in the CIF Central Section Valley Championship. The Eagles took on Stockdale High School, which is a local rival just three miles away from BCHS. This game meant a great deal to each player on the team. The goal of the Eagles with this match up was to win the game of Bakersfield versus Bakersfield. Game one went to the Eagles 25-22. Game two was also won by the Eagles 25-22. At this point, Stockdale coach Maria Collatz prepared her team to take the Eagles to five games. Stockdale took games three and four. Game five seemed like an eternity as it went fiercely back and forth. Eventually, the Eagles took the crown with their win of 18-16. These hard-earned victories earned the Eagles their Division 2 Championship hats, rings and memories of being part of a team that represented BCHS strongly throughout the entire Central Valley region.