Simril and Stevenson Lead Eagles to Victory Over Golden Valley

Knight Jarecki, Contributor

The Bakersfield Christian High School Eagles defeated the Golden Valley Bulldogs by a score of 28-0 to close out the regular season. The Eagles were able to bounce back with two straight league wins after losing their first league game since 2014 two weeks before Ridgeview.

The first action of the game came in the first quarter when star senior running back David Stevenson took a handoff up the middle and dragged a defender into the end zone on a 14-yard dash to put the Eagles up 7-0 early on. After the defense forced Golden Valley to punt, they took over at their own 35-yard line. After a holding penalty backed the Eagles up to the 23-yard line, senior quarterback Dominic Gamboni found the former Golden Valley Bulldog Ronnie Simril on the right side of the field for a wide receiver screen pass. Simril was then able to show off his vision and speed as he navigated his way through blocks and outran the Golden Valley defense for a 77-yard touchdown reception. This put the Eagles up 14-0 with 4:02 left in the first quarter.

On the first play of the second quarter, Dominic Gamboni threw an absolute beauty of a pass to the left side of the field to a wide-open Ronnie Simril for a 32-yard touchdown. This was both players’ second touchdowns of the night putting them up 21-0. Later in the second quarter, Dominic Gamboni was able to find his brother Beau Gamboni on a vertical route to put the Eagles inside the 10-yard line on a 35-yard pass play. The next play David Stevenson took a handoff to the left side and shed a defender on his way to score his second touchdown of the night that put the Eagles up 28-0 with 5:18 in the second quarter.

The remainder of the game did not see much action. Due to a request from Golden Valley, a running clock was put on in the second quarter and the Eagles offense only saw one possession in the second half of the game.

Quarterback Dominic Gamboni finished 8/9 for 188 yards, and 2 touchdowns in his last league game in the Eagles uniform. The running back David Stevenson had five carries for 46 yards with two of his carries resulting in touchdowns. The former Bulldog Ronnie Simril had a huge night finishing with four catches for 134 yards and two touchdowns. On the defensive side of the ball, the sophomore Evan Cloyd led the Eagles with eight tackles and junior Mason Brinsfield added six tackles and a sack in the winning effort.
Golden Valley fell to 1-9 (0-5) on the year finishing with one more win than they had last year. The Eagles improved to 7-3 (4-1) as they look forward to playoffs. They have received the number two overall seed in the CIF Division 3 Central Section playoffs and will take on the 10 seed Lemoore on Friday, November 15 at home.